The simple things we have are the things of truest beauty.

August 27, 2011

Domestic Newsflash Number Forty!

Our egg man down the road blessed us with four neighborly buckets of the wormiest and woodiest apples I have ever peeled and canned. It was a sweet gesture; he told me stories of pig farming during hard Kentucky winters while we picked.

Creativity is in the hot air. Projects in the making are everywhere in the house- an unfinished camera dolley, lego ships, drying sunflower seeds, and, of course, a new movie!

Corn ears are full-grown in the browning farmer’s fields, and cows were moved from the pine tree pasture. Usually, our woods have exploded with wildflower finery by now, but I returned home from a flower search almost empty. Maybe queen anne’s lace, black-eyed susan’s, goldenrods, daisies, and others have been intimidated this year by the gorgeous sunflower newcomers.

All around us is bursting with life- everywhere, and all day long. Never is the sky shy of weather, never the air empty of sound and wind, never are the woods bare of bugs and leaves and growing trees, never is the ground without the smell of dirt and earth.

This morning I wrote in a journal that our spiritual lives are never without need for vibrant life. Never is prayer void of passion, never scripture without taste, never is righteousness without radiance!
There is not a dull moment beside God the Creator Who speaks light and life and luminous joy.


2 comments:

  1. We were blessed with apples from our neighbor this week too! I made them into a pie, an apple dutch baby, and the rest into applesauce.

    Your post reminded me to ask you if you would you like some African daisy seeds. Their cheerful, bright orange and yellow blossoms are doing well in our garden and have easy-to-collect seeds so I have several packets to distribute if you would like one! Again, I wish we were neighbors, and I could share other things from our garden with you that are rather more difficult to mail than just seeds.

    I'm sorry your wildflowers aren't showing up in profusion yet. Usually, we have the wild sunflowers in abundance by now, but on our property there are only two so far, and in an out-of-the-way place. :( But I went hiking today and was able to see quite a few, so that was nice. :)

    Thank you for your newsflash and for bringing it all back to God! I really appreciate that about your updates. How anyone can garden or spend any amount of time observing His wondrous creation without coming to the realization that there is a Maker in charge is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Thanks so much for being such a sweet encouragor. :D
    Yummy applesauce and pie- that sounds great. The apples I canned were kinda tart and mushy, but gifts. :)
    I would love some daisy seeds. And I also wish we were neighbors. I want to explore weaving, but I don't know anyone to ask questions of. You are such a craftsy person, I know you would have a creative suggestion or two if we were close enough to work together! Weaving is one of those ideas that may come about sometime in the future. :)
    Do you have any great sewing projects going? How do your goats like winter in Colorado?
    :D

    ReplyDelete