The simple things we have are the things of truest beauty.

May 17, 2011

Domestic Newsflash



 I have taken thought-leave of my blog for a little bit, but it is now high time for an update.
Cori’s wedding was lovely! This is her telling me that I could put all her reception flowers in my bedroom. Wasn’t that sweet? Mom insisted the fading blooms had to be sorted today- our twelve full bouquets in blue jars thinned to three modest arrangements in clear glass.

Now that life is quite back to its common state, we have time to make subtler changes to our home such as: put up the party lights! We do this almost every summer- take leftover Christmas lights to strand from tree to tree in our circular island before the house. It's perfect, elegant lighting over tea or coffee or conversation or even croquet! Only this year, I procured colored lights! And we threaded them from the girls’ back bedroom window to the studio porch! When I see them bouncing in the woods, it looks quite like a fairy trail to a lost nocturnal world. And then I remember that it’s just Candle working at night.

I finally made granola again. Last year I made it so much that we lost all taste for it. Every family seems to have a special recipe. This is mine:
A heap of oats
A smaller heap of shredded coconut
A little heap of crushed organic Cinnamon Harvest Kashi cereal
A large handful of crushed corn square cereal
A handful of slivered almonds
Some dried cranberries
A spoonful of cinnamon
A little oil
A cup-full of warm or thinned honey
Mix it all together in order of appearance very well until the oil and honey are thoroughly mixed. Bake on 400 until lightly browned. Stir around and brown again twice or three times. Then scrape into a bowl and add some raisins. Stir and break up when it’s cooled.
I like it best over vanilla yogurt.

It’s a wonderful thing when God shows himself to a person in a new light, with a new thought, like a new tune on a new instrument- it’s beautiful. That is what God has been doing with me. The funny thing is this: God is everywhere and in everything that He created and authorized, so why do I find it amazing when I simply remember it?
‘Wait on the Lord; be of good courage
And He shall strengthen thine heart.
Wait, I say, on the Lord!’

2 comments:

  1. lovely post, Anna! I'm especially enchanted by your description of the lights looking "quite like a fairy trail to a lost nocturnal world". Such a perfect description!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Ashley! from one writer to another! :)

    ReplyDelete