The simple things we have are the things of truest beauty.

August 12, 2015

What is a Christian?

     The term Christian is often used today as a religious definition for the categorical uses of society. However, the word originated (I believe,) as a slightly derogatory remark meaning "little" Christ. Christians are also called believers, disciples, followers of Christ, sheep, and the Church. I believe our objective as Christians is to be like Christ, conformed to his image. The language and terminology for Christians carry nuanced ideas about our identity and occupation. For example, if I am a believer, I have an impression that if I believe, all I must now do is wait; but if I am a follower of Christ, I have an impression that I must go somewhere, and the subconscious visual destination seems a very long way from here.
     If I am to be like Christ himself as a little Christian now, I have an impression that my daily, and hourly, behavior should resemble the Teacher who exampled completed righteousness.
     Christ was poor; homeless; wise; excellent at speaking effectively (to his purpose;) discerning; devoted to prayer; intimate with his Father through prayer; devoted to justice, mercy, and forgiveness; a giver of his time, thoughts, and virtues; a servant; in close fellowship; a good listener; gentle and approachable; knowledgeable about the words, impartations, and will of God. These were not aspects of his temperament or personality; these are his behaviors generated from his nature formed from divine and perfect material and from his will centered on loving his Father with all his heart, mind, and strength. Jesus said he was doing what he saw his Father do and that nothing he did came from himself. We are imitators of Christ, becoming like him by practice and spiritual renewal. This is more than categorical religion; it is an everyday interaction between He who is holy and ourselves. It is an outward expression of inward miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment