The simple things we have are the things of truest beauty.

September 25, 2012

Weaving Experiment

The first piece I wove on my little Kromski Harp a couple of months ago was small and plain since
I was just figuring it out.














I decided to experiment dyeing with it.
So I picked a bowlful of pokeberries from our woods.

I soaked the woven cloth in washing soda solution and picked the berries from the stems.
Then I boiled the berries in water over a fire.
I separated the berries from the juice.

I soaked the woven cloth in the berry juice over night and hung it out to dry. 

However, the color turned brown instead of beautiful red because 1. I rinsed the washing soda out of the cloth before soaking it in the juice, which I found should not be done;    2. The berries boiled for a minute or two over the fire, which should not happen.
I cut the cloth to sew into Indian-style moccasins just for fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment