The simple things we have are the things of truest beauty.

December 16, 2011

Star of David

I've been looking into rug hooking. Apparently there are a two different kinds: primitive and modern.
A long time ago, our lady ancestors used leftover scraps of fabric to hook rugs.
When such economic projects grew unpopular, modern users preserved the art by choosing colorful strips of felt to create a picture which is then steamed to preserve the humped-up hooks.
There are also latch-hooking kits for kids, but it isn't the same thing.
When I heard about our industrious grandmothers, I was inspired to see what was around the house that I could use for beauty and glory. I found an empty grass seed sack.


And I found some scrap material. With a small crochet needle, I pulled half a strip of material through the loosely woven bag. Half of the strip was above the surface of the bag (Strip A,) and half was below the surface (Strip B.)
With the crotchet needle, I pulled up Strip B above surface in a small hoop and threaded Strip A through it. When I tightened both strips, it created a knot.


This way I finished the basic shape.


Then I used cream leftover wool yarn to fill in the star. Then I broke down my around-the-house resolution, and bought a ball of wool yarn that began as red and turned purple and turned blue and turned green and turned brown and turned pink and turned red again to fill in all around the star.


Next, I stitched in the middle of the star.


Now it all finished! Except soon, I hope to make a rough wood frame for it and hang it on my wall.



The Star of David is considered a Jewish symbol, though no absolute spiritual or Judaic meaning can be traced back to an original fact or prophecy.
For Israel, it is a patriotic figure reclaimed from the shame of the Holocaust.
For Jews, it could carry many meanings: our dual human nature represented by one triangle pointing up to God and one pointing down to earth, or the twelve tribes of Israel by the twelve small triangles it makes.
To everyone else, it may be a sign of unity or goodwill.
For me, the Star of David is a symbol of God's love and faithfulness to his people. It reminds me of the words of the prophets in the Old Testament about the Messiah who is fulfilling God's covenant and plan for his people.
I added the branch in the middle because one of the prophecies about Jesus called him a righteous Branch and a King who shall reign and prosper, executing judgment and justice on the earth. (Zechariah 6:12-13)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! I love the idea of using the scraps around the house. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete